Azure Active Directory Authentication with Open VPN
Until recent you could connect to your VNet in Azure with certificate-based or RADIUS authentication but now Microsoft Azure support native Azure Active Directory authentication with Open VPN protocol.
Azure AD integration with Open VPN enables user-based policies, multi-factor authentication (MFA) together with conditional access for P2S VPN. In order for Azure AD authentication to work, requires both Azure VPN gateway and a new Azure VPN Client which will obtain and validate an Azure AD token during authentication.
Steps needed to get going with Azure AD Authentication on the VPN gateway:
- If you don’t have an Azure AD tenant you will have to create one first – Create Azure AD tenant
- Enable Azure AD authentication
- Download and install Azure VPN Client
- Import client profile in Azure VPN Client
- In case of connection issues – Diagnose connection
If you have any question or need help with setup, feel free to email me at firstname.lastname@example.org or comment down below.